Sunday, August 7, 2011

Stratford hooray

Sorry - I'm behind, and it's 10 p.m. on Sunday night, and we leave tomorrow early for Montreal. Madness - a bit too much going on for us both, but there you go, it's done, that's the way I planned it. We got back this afternoon from Stratford, barely time to do laundry and sit down for a bit and check the garden and write notes for my house-sitting son, and we're off again.

Stratford was wonderful - too much to talk about briefly, I'll recap later, but here's the overview: "Jesus Chris, Superstar" - fantastic, and after Penny gave me a long lecture about the genesis of Christianity, about which I know very little; "Grapes of Wrath" - moving, beautiful production, especially the performance of old friend Janet Wright, whom Lani and I visited after the show; Penny said it was the best show she'd ever seen; "Titus Andronicus" which my friend enjoyed and I abandoned at intermission, just was not up for such evil and gore; and a lecture by an extraordinary hero, Palestinian doctor and peace activist Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish, who preaches love and tolerance despite losing 3 daughters and a niece to Israeli tanks.

More anon, if possible, but not now. Much to think about.

Also, a luxe barbecue put on by our hosts Lani and Maurice, and a steak dinner out with them, and much merry talk and walking about near the Avon River, and buying of souvenirs by Penny and of dark chocolate by me. We had a great time, and now would like to sit still for a while and digest it all. Instead - off again.

Montreal Monday and Tuesday, and Ottawa - my family - Wednesday to Saturday evening, then back here and ... Sunday, a writing workshop for 12 people in the garden, with food. Wonderful. Can't wait.

The really good thing about all this is that I haven't a single minute to think about my next mammogram, which is the Tuesday after next. And then everything settles down. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment