Thursday, September 15, 2011

what I bought and where I walked


At Doubletake - a genuine Missoni Sport sweater, in my colours and my size, $4. Am I shallow? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.






































These folks were at Riverdale Farm today - they're travelling ferriers. They drive up with all their horseshoes ready to go. If you need horseshoes, these are the people to call.









Autumn has come to the Farm gardens.






I love walking in the Necropolis - William Flight died in 1857. So many of the graves, including this one, include the names of dead children - one couple I visited today lost six of their children in infancy. So so much to be thankful for in 2011.

2 comments:

  1. For six years my son lived in Cabbagetown while working on a PhD at the UofT. I loved visiting him there. We'd get in late and go for a late supper to the House on Parliament Street and the next morning I almost always woke early, nudged my husband, and we'd walk over to Riverdale Farm. It was an oasis. The big dignified horses, the hens, the geese. And yes, the Necropolis with its peaceful dead. I always thought the stones told stories which deserved our attention -- the lists of children who died in infancy, the terse praise. Thank you for this. My son has moved to Edmonton and I'm sorry we won't have those meals at the House and the walks to the Farm where I yearned to have a topiary horse just like the one outside the farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, how great to hear from you - I feel I know you from the Creative Non-Fiction Collective. If you go back to last week in the blog, there's a picture of Dolly the Clydesdale, who died in August, devastating all of us who'd been visiting her and her son Rooster for decades.

    When I'm in New York I feel that insane place would have sunk into the river without glorious Central Park, so the Farm is one of the great blessings of this city and my own life. An oasis of sanity and calm, real life, what matters most.

    If you're ever in the neighbourhood again, please get in touch.

    ReplyDelete