Friday, April 6, 2012

Burtonhole memory lane


Visiting the Stanley Spencer art gallery in
Maidenhead - I didn't know this fine artist
and am glad to have made acquaintance with
his work. He was very religious,
eccentric, and talented, used to push an
old pram holding his easel and paints through the streets, and then prop this sign on it when he started work.












Penny and her brother Chris, our host,
at the gallery












A sign on the wall just
opposite a pub











Beth trips down memory lane: this is Burton House, Burtonhole Lane,
Mill Hill, in London's north end. My family and I lived on the second floor here in 1957. It was a ramshackle farmhouse then, with goats and geese and a kindly couple downstairs. A
wonderful place.






One of the best schools I ever
attended, in Mill Hill - at seven, I learned to spell so well, I've been a champion speller ever since. Cursive writing, too.

2 comments:

  1. Stanley Spencer is one of my favourite English painters. His swans, his men with big arms...I love the vigour of his work. Such wonderful travel descriptions, Beth. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, I'm ashamed I hadn't even heard of him. I fell in love with his St. Francis - all the chickens, geese and ducks, gazing at him, he flinging his arms to heaven - wonderful. Spent today at both Tate Galleries - am swimming in British art.

    ReplyDelete