Friday, July 13, 2012

Canada Writes - Creative Non-Fiction vote

A wonderful opportunity for Creative Non-fiction writers and students: the CBC has posted the five finalists for their CNF prize on-line, giving Canadians the chance to read them all and vote for their favourite. Why don't you read the five the judges chose and ask yourself why? Decide what you like, and just as importantly, what you don't, and vote yourself. I have entered the competition and been shortlisted three or four times, including last year, but have never won, and didn't enter this year. Next, for sure. You too?

As of today, you will have until noon (ET) on Wednesday, July 18 to vote for your favourite shortlisted story. Although the results of this vote will not have any impact on the final decision made by the jury, the winner of the public vote will get bragging rights AND the satisfaction of knowing that his/her story was voted as the favourite among Canadians. One lucky voter will also receive a beautiful Canada Writes journal.

In order to enter, voters will need to provide their name and email address. Only one vote per person is permitted. Voters must also leave a comment explaining why they think the story they picked should win.


The winner of the public vote will be announced on Thursday, July 19.
The Grand Prize winner as decided by the jury will be announced here on Monday, July 23.
 
Today's excitement: I had a singing lesson with my opera singer friend Douglas and his beautiful rich baritone. When I take my Beatles story on stage, I don't have the right to use their recorded music, so perhaps I may have to sing little bits myself. AAAGH! So I went to Douglas to get the instrument tuned up and working, and to learn to be unselfconscious about opening my mouth to sing. Mind you, I used to sing as an actress, I have done this before. But not alone on stage, and not some of the most famous songs ever written.

Aaaagh! That's not singing, that's terror.

PS I just wanted to check what the playlist was for the Beatles' concerts I saw on June 20 1965 - was about to go upstairs to find my diary of the time when I remembered that it's 2012 and there's Google. So I Googled, and what came up was more than the playlist - it was actual video and audio footage of the concert! Incredible - I was able to listen to it all again, all 12 songs, and then watch the boys doing their thing - when the camera swept the audience, several times I saw a girl who looked a lot like moi, though hard to tell for sure, it's so blurry. But I was in the 8th row centre, singing my heart out along with them. The sound is laughably bad - nothing on stage but drums, a few small amps and two mikes. They fade in and out, Paul muffs the lyrics to "She's a woman" and grins at his buddies, and they just ROCK. The last song, Paul's "Long Tall Sally," is the essence of rock 'n roll, right there, everything you want to know about the best of our music then. Talk about full of life. Lucky, lucky us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment