Monday, November 4, 2013

Addicts lie

I've not written about Rob Ford, because ... what is there to say? Imagine, his "apology," his failure to resign, is one of the top ten stories in the NYT today. Imagine, he thought we'd believe that he has decided to have "a drink or two" at home and not embarrass us in public any more. We are an embarrassment in front of the entire world.

But my Toronto friend and student Chris just sent this, a powerful piece about addiction. Rob Ford is an addict. As so many families have, we are watching what happens when someone under the thrall of their addiction cannot admit it. I still do not feel a shred of sympathy for this nasty, aggressive bully. But at least after reading this, I feel I understand, more, why he is who he is.

http://madelineashby.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment