Monday, February 17, 2014

Sotheby's

A startling experience - just opened the Sotheby's catalogue for the auction March 7 - Contemporary Curated. It's gorgeous, a work of art in itself, with a stunning image by Richard Prince on the cover.


Started through - mon dieu, Calder, De Kooning, Arshile Gorky, Helen Frankenthaler, Louise Bourgeois, Ed Ruscha, Franz Kline, Jim Dine, a lovely tranquil Joseph Cornell box called "The Nearest Star, an Allegory of Time" ...

And then I turned the page.



My father. There with all the famous art. My father as famous art.

I'm happy they've printed the blurb I wrote about him. It says "Dr. Jacob Gordin Kaplan, a biologist and peace activist, was the grandson and namesake of Jacob Gordin, once the most famous Yiddish playwright in the world. Kaplan and Alice Neel were good friends; he is mentioned in her biography."

Daddy.

Loss.

And speaking of loss …


No comments:

Post a Comment