Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Kedi - Istanbul hearts cats

It is a wet, very mild day, and for some bizarre reason, Mr. Disgusting is still President of the United States. But otherwise, life goes on. I spent the morning at Sick Kid's with Anna and Ben; he was having his foot checked at the Club Foot Clinic. It's perfect, though he will wear his boots and bar at night for another 4 to 6 years. But his little foot, bent completely sideways at birth, is perfect now. Let me tell you, if you ever want to feel profoundly grateful for what you have in life, spend a little time at Sick Kid's. We met a little girl who must have spina bifida, encased in a plastic cast from shoulders to hips, proudly showing the orthotics maker her colouring. We saw wheelchairs, pale faces, bald heads, IV poles. Nothing, nothing in this wide world, nothing at all matters as much as healthy children.

Ben is a happy boy. He is very small, unlike his brother, and doesn't talk much, but he signs. He knows the signs for MORE - his favourite - and that's enough, and I love you. Be still my beating heart. We spent hours Saturday at the AGO with both boys, including a great exhibit on the 5th floor with films that Eli could watch and plastic doors Ben could push through, and then lots of time in the fabulous playroom. Something for everyone.
Sunday night, Richard and Wayson came for dinner and to watch the last episode of "Victoria" and then "Feud," about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford making Whatever happened to Baby Jane. It shows how hard it was to be a female star in that era - that those women more or less had to be monsters and/or drunks to survive. It was well done, but I won't watch it again. I just don't care enough.

On the other hand, I went to see a documentary today that made me care very much: Kedi, about - yes - street cats in Istanbul. It was wonderful to see that fantastic city again; about ten years ago, I spent more than a week visiting the city with my young Turkish then-boyfriend. My God, that seems a lifetime ago. An incredible place. I did not notice then how many street cats there are - thousands, apparently, fed and cared for by citizens. The film explores the bond between animals and humans, the very special qualities of cats. One man says, "Cats have a special awareness of God. Dogs think human beings are God. Cats know that human beings are merely intermediaries." It's a beautiful film, highly recommended.

Got another nice note from a student. You understand, in the absence of a spouse who'd appreciate hearing these nice notes, I share them with you. I hope you don't mind.
I always enjoy class but I was able to listen to your advice very closely on Thursday ... not just advice for me, but for everyone. It was so damned good! You are a fine teacher Beth and you continue to teach me so much. It's something I will never take for granted. I am a lucky broad! 

And so am I. 

And my friend Piers Hemmingsen, who was at BeatlesFest last weekend, brought a copy of my memoir along and gave it to another Beatles author. She wrote him on FB:
Sara Schmidt Piers Hemmingsen it is always nice to see you. I have been reading the book about the girl in Paris (Started reading it on the plane) and I love it! Thank you so so much!
UnlikeReply25 hrs
Piers Hemmingsen Sarah somehow I knew you would like that book ... in her book "All My Loving",  Beth Kaplan takes you right back to being a Paul fan circa late 1963 and early 1964. It is a great trans-Atlantic Beatles story and I hope that you can recommend it to your readers.
Thanks, Piers.

For your laugh of the day ... I love this!
http://www.avclub.com/article/improve-any-novel-changing-its-second-line-and-the-251576

4 comments:

  1. As a born and bred Torontonian, do you want to know what has always bothered me? The name of that hospital. Why can't they call it The Children's Hospital?

    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny - I was just talking to a colleague the other day about exactly the same thing - I mentioned I wouldn't be at work as I would be at sickkids with my son (also the orthopaedic clinic). He lives in the states and commented on the name - I hadn't thought of it before but yes talk about stating the obvious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is officially called the Hospital for Sick Children; Sick Kids is its nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hospital for Sick Children = The Children's Hospital

    ReplyDelete