Monday, March 12, 2018

the man who knew too little, the woman who knows too much

Slow mo snow - big flakes tumbling and whirling in slow motion, mesmerizing. Not spring yet. But I did see a big robin at the bird feeder.

Well, my surprise hours Saturday and yesterday, when I was supposed to be in Ottawa and was not, vanished. My handyman John came, fixed things, and gave me some valuable advice about the renovation. I cooked dinner, Wayson came, and we watched some of the Canadian Screen Awards, so much more snappy and fun than the Oscars though sadly I'd never even heard of most of the films, and then a documentary about Harry Potter featuring one of my great heroes, the fine person and writer J.K. Rowling.

But what else happened? Not much. A great deal of time was spent sitting here with the computer, on Facebook and other sites, keeping up with the news. And then I read the article below about a man who has gone completely off the news grid, and I thought, Hmm.
It has happened so gradually, this subservience to the devices, it's hard to notice just how very much time goes into checking email and various websites, how automatic it is - first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and many times in between, and that's just email and news feeds on the computer, I'm not a phone junkie like some. Of course, the current state of the world leads us to a fraught desire to know the latest: What has he done NOW?

But is that healthy? I think not. How to cut back? I have no idea. But perhaps spending three weeks on a small gulf island will be a start.

And I promise not to mention Doug Ford.

No comments:

Post a Comment